Alaska Fishing Regulations
Are you familiar with the fishing regulation in Alaska?
It is never a bad idea to check it again before your next outing.
Alaska Fishing License
Purchasing a fishing license you are helping to preserve the environment and also ensure that future generations can enjoy fishing as you are.
Among other things, your fishing license fees support fisheries and hatcheries management, education programs about fishing and conservation, protection of endangered species.
Here it is where you can get your fishing license.
Links to Alaska Government Agencies
Here are a few websites of Alaska's agencies involved in regulation and conservation.
Alaska Fishing News
Check out what is the latest fishing buzz in Alaska.
Alaska Fish Factor: Thousands of Salmon as season gets Underway
- US - Alaska’s salmon season officially got underway on May 16 with the arrival of thousands of sockeye and king salmon at the Copper River near Cordova, and high prices were the talk of the town. The first opener produced a catch of 25,000 sockeye and ...
- The Fish Site
- 5/23/2016 8:35:02 AM
Whatcom fishing fleet likely to stay longer in Alaska this season
- Watch as the Blaine fishing boat pulls in a huge net of salmon while fishing in Alaska in the summer of 2013. Co-owner Cathy Wade, left, deckhand Scott Marx and co-owner and skipper Loren Kapp load crab pots on the deck of the salmon tender Chief Kwina in
- 5/21/2016 1:59:32 PM
Fish board proposals ask for changes in dipnet fishery
- City of Kenai equipment drivers clearing the beach sometimes have to deploy spotters for late-night dipnetters when the commissioner of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game decides to open the fishery for 24 hours. Bacteria from birds, fish and humans ..
- Peninsula Clarion
- 5/21/2016 9:13:12 AM
Volunteers to take children fishing in honor of late friend
- But most people knew Johnson for his fishing exploits. He traveled from the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska, landing amberjack, halibut, drum and grouper. "He never kept anything he wasn't going to eat," Linda Johnson said. "He wasn't looking for a trophy.
- Fayetteville Observer
- 5/20/2016 2:57:59 PM
Youth fishing day at Twin Lakes on June 4
- The Juneau Ranger District’s annual co-hosted Family Fishing Day will be at Twin Lakes on June 4 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Juneau Rotary Club and Douglas Island Pink & Chum are sponsoring the event. King salmon will ...
- Juneau Empire
- 5/20/2016 11:59:02 AM
Alaskans ask for improved protections for waters, fish
- The Alaska Department of Natural Resources received an unusually high number of comments in a recent public comment period, with residents supporting upgraded conservation measures for clean water and fish over rolling back water protections 99-to-one ...
- 5/20/2016 10:18:49 AM
Fish Factor, Alaska's salmon season begins with a lot of optimism
- Alaska’s salmon season has gotten underway with lots of optimism, a far cry from the bleak feelings of a year ago. Last year’s fishery was blown asunder by a perfect storm of depressed currencies, salmon backlogs and global markets awash with...
- Petersburg Pilot
- 5/20/2016 12:03:12 AM
UAF offers fly-fishing clinic
- The University of Alaska Fairbanks Summer Sessions program will offer a 15-hour fly fishing course on June 3 and June 4. Instructor Shaunn Paul Jones will teach the non-credit short course, which meets from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and features field trips.
- News Miner
- 5/19/2016 7:45:30 PM
Even with lots of fish, halibut prices high
- King salmon sold for $9.00. Prices at the retail level for the famous load of king salmon flown to Seattle on Alaska Airlines was reported at $37.95. The fisherman who received the highest price on the dock on Monday said he did not know about a price war
- Homer News
- 5/19/2016 10:41:28 AM
What’s Going to Happen This Year With Salmon?
- To kick things off, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced a 12 hour opening for the Copper River today. Last year’s Copper River sockeye salmon harvests were 30 percent below preseason forecasts at 1.58 million fish. This year, 1.62 million ...
- The Fish Site
- 5/19/2016 8:54:06 AM
Active service members offered free day of halibut fishing
- The idea is simple: Offer men and women of the military who've given so much a few hours of fishing frivolity from one of Alaska's premier harbors. So as Seward's Combat Fishing Tournament reaches its 10th anniversary next week, organizers are ballyhooing
- Anchorage Daily News
- 5/19/2016 4:22:05 AM
Body of man missing since January found under fish processing plant
- KETHIKAN, Alaska (AP) The State Medical Examiner's Office has identified the body found underneath a fish processing plant in Ketchikan as that of a man who was reported missing in January. The Ketchikan Daily News reports that the body was identified as .
- 5/18/2016 3:57:37 PM
Koenig: Gear Up for Kokanee Fishing
- Their native range spans from the Columbia River Basin to Alaska and includes Idaho. They are also one of the state’s most colorful game fish. During spring and summer, kokanee have bright silvery sides, blue-green shiny backs and lack spots entirely.
- Twin Falls Times-News
- 5/18/2016 11:47:05 AM
For the best salmon, choose wild, and know your fish seller
- Should you choose wild or farm-raised fish? Fresh or previously frozen? And should you choose fish caught locally, or is salmon from Alaska perfectly OK? It's actually the second time Morgan has written a cookbook on the subject. Her first collection of ..
- 5/18/2016 7:58:01 AM
From Seattle to Manitoulin: sustainable fresh fish
- There are stunning pictures of each dish. As Wild As It Gets is already a big seller in Seattle. And Duke constantly travels to Alaska, where he inspects the wild, sustainable fish used in his six chowder house restaurants throughout the Puget Sound.
- The Sudbury Star
- 5/18/2016 2:00:06 AM
Slow start, smaller fish seen at Copper River opening
- Speaking mid-afternoon on May 16, Jeremy Botz, an Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) area management biologist for the region, told Undercurrent News that reports from fishermen were just starting to come in, but many were reporting things to be a
- 5/17/2016 5:10:23 PM
Alaska Fish Factor: Fishermen Optimistic as Salmon Season Starts
- US - Alaska’s salmon season has gotten underway with lots of optimism, a far cry from the bleak feelings of a year ago. Last year’s fishery was blown asunder by a perfect storm of depressed currencies, salmon backlogs and global markets awash with ...
- The Fish Site
- 5/16/2016 8:14:42 AM
Fish Board considers change to proposal review process
- Given the tight state budget, the Alaska Board of Fisheries is considering a change that could expedite consideration of some proposals a little. Typically, the board considers possible changes to each of the state's fisheries every three years.
- The Arctic Sounder
- 5/14/2016 2:26:19 AM
Want to learn a new fishing technique or need some help for you next outing? Check out one of the guide/outfitter services listed below.
Couldn't find your guide / outfitter service here?
Post a Guide/Outfitter Referral and we will update this list.
Alaska Fishing Clubs
Want to join an interest group near you?
Look up the following list of fishing clubs in Alaska.
Couldn't find your fishing club here?
Post a Club Referral and we will update this list.