Virginia Fishing Regulations
Are you familiar with the fishing regulation in Virginia?
It is never a bad idea to check it again before your next outing.
Virginia Fishing License
Purchasing a fishing license you are helping to preserve the environment and also ensure that future generations can enjoy fishing as you are.
Among other things, your fishing license fees support fisheries and hatcheries management, education programs about fishing and conservation, protection of endangered species.
Here it is where you can get your fishing license.
Links to Virginia Government Agencies
Here are a few websites of Virginia's agencies involved in regulation and conservation.
Virginia Fishing News
Check out what is the latest fishing buzz in Virginia.
John McCoy: Fly fishing event will cater to women, youth
- She wants to get more women and young people involved in fly fishing for trout. To help make that happen, Rowley, the women’s initiative chair for the West Virginia Council of Trout Unlimited, is putting together an event geared toward — you guessed it ...
- The Charleston Gazette
- 3/22/2015 2:57:57 AM
Golden anniversary of W.Va. year-round trout fishing
- During the late 1950s and the early 1960s, when I was a young person infatuated with trout fishing, the anticipation of the opening day of the West Virginia season was enough to make me crazy. Being a native of Weston, though, I knew better than to go craz
- Cumberland Times News Homepage
- 3/18/2015 12:35:21 PM
Bill Cochran Column: Another down year for saltwater striped bass fishing
- It’s not often that an angler from the western side of the state is a winner in the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament, but E.B. Padgett of Roanoke came close last season. On Dec. 6, Padgett reeled in a 58-pound, 5-ounce striped bass while fishing ...
- The News & Advance
- 3/17/2015 12:36:32 PM
Fly Fishing in the Virginia Piedmont
- I'VE NEVER BEEN ONE for bait-and-tackle fishing—casting your lure, sitting on your duff and waiting for the orange bobber to dunk. Fly-fishing, on the other hand, has always seemed like more of an art. Aficionados of fly-fishing (mostly men) speak of its .
- 3/16/2015 3:29:32 PM
Legislation calls for requiring fish stock assessments of all species
- All fish stocks would have to be assessed regularly if a new bill becomes law. Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Virginia) introduced the Healthy Fisheries through Better Science Act (H.R. 1207), which would amend the Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation & Management .
- 3/12/2015 12:49:38 PM
Volunteer fishing guides needed for Wounded Warriors
- A 350-pound bluefin out of Hatteras Village by Lance Pickett of Virginia. Wahoo of 60, 42 and 35 pounds by Pat Prence, Jason Gore, Bryan Gore and his son Jude, trolling at the Winyah Scarp out of Ocean Isle Fishing Center.
- Charlotte Observer
- 3/11/2015 11:13:35 PM
Knights of Columbus Hall holding fish fry in Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach, Va. – Love fish fry? Every Friday night till March 27 th from 5:30- 7:30pm, Father Habets Assembly will be hosting a fish fry. This event will be located at Knights of Columbus Hall at 1236 Prosperity Road in Virginia Beach. Fried and ...
- News Channel3
- 3/10/2015 3:15:10 PM
Fishing, Hunting & Outdoor Sports Show March 7-8
- MORGANTOWN — The 14th Annual West Virginia Fishing, Hunting & Outdoor Sports Show begins today, March 7, at the Ruby Community Center at Mylan Park. The show is open 10 a.m.-7 p.m. today and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $7 per day for adults ...
- 3/7/2015 5:24:35 AM
Virginia tagging program enjoys 20 years and lots of fish
- The Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program introduced its 20th year by recently honoring its top taggers from 2014. “Most anglers don’t know what happens to the fish they release,” Susanna Musick, coordinator of the program at the Virginia Institute of ...
- 3/5/2015 7:53:07 PM
Town To Host 12th Annual Kid's Trout Fishing Derby
- Teens and adults, ages 16 and up, must have a valid Virginia state fishing license to fish. This event is sponsored jointly by the Parks and Recreation Department and the Herndon Friends of the Police.
- 3/4/2015 9:34:31 PM
For partners, it's all about faith, family, and fishing
- Pat Duncan, George Thomas, and Mickey Grant were at the Richmond Fishing Expo in Doswell, Virginia, the weekend of Jan. 16 when the thing really started taking off. The trio of avid fisherman was seated around a tiny square card table, a mess of plastic ..
- 3/4/2015 8:30:05 PM
For Mickey Grant and George Thomas, it's all about faith, family, and fishing
- For Mickey Grant and George Thomas, it's all about faith, family, and fishing By Mike Schoeffel / Sports Writer Richmond.com Pat Duncan, George Thomas, and Mickey Grant were at the Richmond Fishing Expo in Doswell, Virginia, the weekend of Jan. 16 when the
- 3/4/2015 8:30:05 PM
Bill Cochran Field Reports: Here’s where to fish for walleye in Virginia
- The walleye population has been expanding across Virginia, and that makes many anglers happy for at least two reasons: Walleye are one of the first fish to become active late winter and early spring, and they are as good to eat as any fish in freshwater.
- The Roanoke Times
- 3/4/2015 5:28:09 AM
The muskie: fish of 10,000 casts?
- Bo Wolfe, who is a fishing guide on the New River in West Virginia, told me. Bo is the owner operator of New River Bronzeback Adventures, (www.newriverbronzeback.com). He has seen interest in muskie fishing increase in the past few years. “You have to ...
- The Register Herald
- 3/1/2015 2:54:13 AM
For W.Va.’s fish hatchery workers, there is no ‘off-season’
- APPLE GROVE — There’s no shortage of work in a fish hatchery, even when most of the fish are gone. Just ask the employees at West Virginia’s two “warm-water” fish hatcheries. The Division of Natural Resources’ Apple Grove and Palestine ...
- The Charleston Gazette
- 2/27/2015 5:41:14 AM
The Trail Less Traveled: Muskie a fish more predator than prey
- “The best advice I can give people that want to fish for muskies is to have patience, patience and more patience,” Bo Wolfe, a fishing guide on the New River in West Virginia, told me. Wolfe, the owner and operator of New River Bronzeback ...
- The Daily Citizen Dalton now
- 2/26/2015 8:30:03 PM
County planning for fishing tournaments
- During Wednesday’s meeting, Marion County commissioners passed a motion to allocate $7,000 to Bass Nation of West Virginia (BNWV) to help with funding for the Marion County Invitation fishing tournament to be held in May. Tim Mitchem, president of BNWV ...
- Times West Virginian
- 2/25/2015 9:07:01 PM
It's not much, but a couple of silver linings from fish bust
- When the Virginia Marine Police busted two alleged poachers in the Elizabeth River last week, they confiscated thousands of pounds of speckled trout and red drum. The fish were put to good use, as they were distributed to area Food Banks and other agencies
- 2/20/2015 5:16:44 PM
2 Virginia men arrested in sting face illegal fishing charges
- CHESAPEAKE, Virginia — Two men arrested in a Virginia Marine Police sting face illegal fishing charges. Marine police tell media outlets that the charges against Bi Chao Chen of Norfolk include possession of oversize red drum, over the limit of a ...
- The Republic
- 2/19/2015 7:02:18 AM
Want to learn a new fishing technique or need some help for you next outing? Check out one of the guide/outfitter services listed below.
Couldn't find your guide / outfitter service here?
Post a Guide/Outfitter Referral and we will update this list.
Virginia Fishing Clubs
Want to join an interest group near you?
Look up the following list of fishing clubs in Virginia.
Couldn't find your fishing club here?
Post a Club Referral and we will update this list.