Virginia Fishing Regulations
Are you familiar with the fishing regulation in Virginia?
It is never a bad idea to check it again before your next outing.
Virginia Fishing License
Purchasing a fishing license you are helping to preserve the environment and also ensure that future generations can enjoy fishing as you are.
Among other things, your fishing license fees support fisheries and hatcheries management, education programs about fishing and conservation, protection of endangered species.
Here it is where you can get your fishing license.
Links to Virginia Government Agencies
Here are a few websites of Virginia's agencies involved in regulation and conservation.
Virginia Fishing News
Check out what is the latest fishing buzz in Virginia.
Create your own fish cage
- RICHMOND, Va. – Virginia State University is hosting a workshop for those looking to get into aqua-farming. The special event will give hands-on demonstrations and everything you need to know about farming with fish cages. Fish Health Specialist Dr ...
- 4/20/2017 5:14:00 PM
Female Crab Populations Up on Chesapeake Bay
- The Winter Dredge Survey has been conducted annually by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and Virginia Institute of Marine Science since 1990 to provide the primary assessment of the Chesapeake Bay's blue crab population. The fishery is managed
- 4/20/2017 7:33:00 AM
Adventures Afield: Fishing the Shad Run
- Despite the general favoritism tossed the way of the largemouth and smallmouth bass, trout, and the ever-elusive musky in the state of Virginia, offer me a day of catching dozens of hard-fighting river fish weighing between one and five pounds on light ...
- The Daily Progress
- 4/19/2017 5:25:00 PM
Stable Riverbanks Help Farmers Make Hay
- Today we are hearing from Melanie Carter, a Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program Civil Engineer with the Virginia Field Office, stationed in Southwestern Virginia. I specialize in aquatic habitat restoration in the Upper Tennessee River Basin.
- 4/18/2017 9:02:00 PM
Virginia: Walleye Stocking Program Underway
- The walleye is a popular gamefish in many areas of the country, but one that is often overlooked here in Virginia. DGIF's aquatics staff uses state of the art techniques to collect, grow, and stock walleye—here's how we do it. Every year, DGIF collects ...
- 4/18/2017 5:39:00 AM
Hampden-Sydney College has big fly fishing thoughts
- Most of the trips are funded by the club’s annual allocations, and the trips are meant to give members a day – or sometimes two – to leave campus and target Virginia’s freshwater fish in a relaxing way. Some common fishing destinations include the ...
- 4/17/2017 12:10:00 PM
OUTDOORS COLUMN: Some days meant for memories without catching fish
- Some days are just meant for memories without catching fish. The boys got to see a lot of West Virginia on that day, and I’m glad I got to be part of our little jaunt looking for trout. I’m not one for excuses. Some days you have it; some days you just ...
- Times West Virginian
- 4/16/2017 7:11:00 AM
Young anglers take over Parkersburg parks for fishing derby
- In preparation for the tournament approximately 1,000 pounds of trout — rainbow, brown and brook — were stocked in each place by the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. The ponds were closed to public fishing from the time the trout were ...
- Newsand Sentinel
- 4/16/2017 4:13:00 AM
Shad fishing has undergone changes
- Today, shad fishing is of the sporting kind exclusively, save for the harvests of a few indigenous tribes in Virginia. During the late 1990s I spent a few a balmy evenings, "in the full flush of Spring returning," accompanying commercial waterman Harley ..
- 4/16/2017 12:15:00 AM
18th annual Family Fishing Day held at Curtisville Lake: PHOTOS
- The Marion County Parks and Recreation Commission (MCPARC), in partnership with the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, hosted the 18th annual Family Fishing Day at Curtisville Lake. Family Fishing Day has happened every Good Friday since 2000.
- Times West Virginian
- 4/15/2017 9:32:00 AM
Going fishing? Check out what’s biting off Cape Fear piers
- range. Cut bait refers to the practice of using cut pieces of dead fish as bait. Virginia mullet, aka “whiting” or “white croaker” as they are commonly called, are being caught up to two and a half pounds on shrimp fished along the bottom ...
- Port City Daily
- 4/14/2017 1:50:00 PM
Top 21 Prospects: Houston Astros
- Fisher was a similar prospect in 2014, a 70 runner with plus raw power at Virginia but a 30 defender in the outfield with no instincts and inconsistent bat-to-ball ability. Fisher played left field in college in deference to Royals prospect Brandon Downes
- 4/10/2017 5:15:00 PM
Red, black drum being caught; too large to keep
- April's full moon is the traditional start of the drum fishery on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The full moon is Tuesday and drum are here on time. Most of the red drum caught along the coast will be too large to keep. Anglers are allowed to keep three red ...
- Daily Press
- 4/6/2017 9:54:00 PM
Sip & Savor The Flavors at Bonefish Grill
- With Spring in full swing, it’s time to enjoy a few seasonally inspired dishes. John Ryman from Bonefish Grill made a return visit to the Virginia This Morning kitchen to walk us through creating perfectly seared scallops with a Lime Tomato Garlic Sauce.
- 4/6/2017 6:20:00 PM
Photos: An Steelhead Engagement in Idaho
- We have lived and fished together our entire adult lives, relocating from Virginia to Ketchum, Idaho in 2014. Steelhead are my passion, and I spend about 50 days a year targeting. Whitney had never caught one, and it took her three trips and about 16 hours
- 4/3/2017 5:56:00 PM
Top 15 Prospects: Boston Red Sox
- If his body starts to fill out I think there’s a chance he starts hitting for some power. Devon Fisher, RHP – Fisher was kind of a dude as a Virginia high-school catcher in a draft without any other high-school catching in 2014. He was also 88-92 off ...
- 4/3/2017 2:55:00 PM
Want to learn a new fishing technique or need some help for you next outing? Check out one of the guide/outfitter services listed below.
Couldn't find your guide / outfitter service here?
Post a Guide/Outfitter Referral and we will update this list.
Virginia Fishing Clubs
Want to join an interest group near you?
Look up the following list of fishing clubs in Virginia.
Couldn't find your fishing club here?
Post a Club Referral and we will update this list.