California Fishing Regulations
Are you familiar with the fishing regulation in California?
It is never a bad idea to check it again before your next outing.
California Fishing License
Purchasing a fishing license you are helping to preserve the environment and also ensure that future generations can enjoy fishing as you are.
Among other things, your fishing license fees support fisheries and hatcheries management, education programs about fishing and conservation, protection of endangered species.
Here it is where you can get your fishing license.
Links to California Government Agencies
Here are a few websites of California's agencies involved in regulation and conservation.
- California Department of Fish and Game
- California Natural Resources Agency
California Fishing News
Check out what is the latest fishing buzz in California.
Video Hatch: “Gold Fever-Fly-Fishing California’s Gold Country”
- Tucked deep in a remote canyon, a ribbon of crystal clear water holds a robust population of wild rainbows and a few trophy brown trout that have seldom seen a hook. This short film from Mikey Wier features the journey to California’s Gold Country.
- 2/23/2017 2:16:00 PM
New Daiwa Fuego Baitcasters
- CYPRESS, California – Daiwa's new 2017 FUEGO CT line of baitcasters feature an all new lower profile design that is as good looking as it is comfortable to fish. What makes this reel special is the aluminum CT frame that delivers durability and ...
- 2/23/2017 8:16:00 AM
Big O Will Likely Fish Fairly Small
- He won the FLW Tour event at the Big O in 2012 and was the runner-up the previous year. 2. Skeet Reese – He's a long way from his California home whenever he's fishing in Florida, but he almost always excels in the Sunshine State. He badly needs a strong .
- 2/23/2017 12:09:00 AM
California Restaurant Caught Selling Fraudulent Fish
- Give a man a fish...it better damn well be the fish you say it is. That's what Santa Clara restaurant Odeum is finding out after serving their diners tilapia under the pretenses—and the prices—of petrale sole for nearly a year and a half from October ...
- 2/22/2017 11:42:00 PM
Fishing the North Coast: Green water and sunshine on the horizon
- Anglers are encouraged to provide input on potential fishing seasons to a panel of California salmon scientists, managers and representatives who will be directly involved in the upcoming Pacific Fishery Management Council meetings in March and April.
- 2/22/2017 10:59:00 PM
Restaurant Fined for Pretending Tilapia Was Much Fancier Fish
- California restaurants are prohibited from falsely advertising the food they serve, per health and safety codes. Petrale sole is a type of flounder; the Mercury News says it sells for two to three times the price of tilapia, a "bargain-basement fish."
- 2/22/2017 10:27:00 PM
New regs for Thursday: Apples, fish, missiles
- The fishing rules come as part of a catch sharing plan and would affect Pacific halibut caught in the Pacific northwest states of Washington, Oregon, and California. “These actions are intended to conserve Pacific halibut, provide angler opportunity ...
- The Hill
- 2/22/2017 3:04:00 PM
Annual Fishing Tournament Offered At Oak Grove Park
- There is a $5 fishing permit fee required and for those 16 and over, a California fishing license is also required. There is a $6 vehicle entry fee at the park. Five trout limit. As always, kids fish free. For more information, call 209-331-2050 or visit .
- Oakdale Leader
- 2/22/2017 10:36:00 AM
Northern California Anglers Ready for Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show
- PLEASANTON, Calif. – Fly-fishing fanatics from throughout Northern California will view sparkling new rods and reels, boots, waders and accessories at the 2017 Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show this weekend (Feb. 24-26) in the Alameda County Fairgrounds, 4501 ..
- 2/22/2017 8:27:00 AM
Restaurant Fined $120K for Trying to Pass Off Tilapia as Fancy Fish
- This is the stunt that Odeum in Santa Clara, California tried to pull on its customers between October 2014 and March 2016, which was a hell of a long time to be pretending that tilapia was the pricier fish, and also suggests that diners, when it came down
- 2/21/2017 10:02:00 PM
Highway 41 access to Yosemite National Park blocked at Fish Camp
- Highway 41 to Yosemite National Park is closed at Fish Camp, the California Highway Patrol and park officials reported Tuesday. There was no indication of when the highway might reopen. That leaves only Highway 49 via Highway 140 through Mariposa for ...
- Fresno Bee
- 2/21/2017 9:09:00 PM
SoCal fishing community rallies around friend floored by fire
- You call to talk about it with one of the most personable, unassuming, always-there cogs in the Southern California fishing industry. You want to know more about the guy who became so beloved working small gigs for little or no money that the president of
- 2/21/2017 6:49:00 PM
Reminder: Pleasanton, California Fly Fishing Show
- Meet up with old friends, make new friends, and talk to the industry celebs… Tom Boyd. Jeff Currier, Bo Bennett, Phillip Rowley, Brian Chan. Gary Borger, Cecilia “Pudge” Kleinkauf, Ed Engle, Denny Richards, and authors Terry & Wendy Gunn.
- 2/21/2017 1:04:00 PM
Does this fish predict earthquakes?
- Two monster oarfish have recently washed up on a beach in California, and now some scientists are speculating that an ancient myth about the giant fish predictingearthquakes could be true. Newslook Every couple of years, a mysterious rare fish that ...
- USA Today
- 2/21/2017 12:33:00 PM
Sal Fish to be Grand Marshal for 50th SCORE Baja 1000
- Held annually in Baja California, Mexico, the 50th anniversary race will be held Nov. 14-18. It will be a peninsula run, starting in Ensenada and finishing in La Paz. Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Famer Fish, who has earned more awards in his life than most
- 2/20/2017 1:52:00 PM
Ed Killer: 'The Tug is the Drug' for fly fishing author Chris Santella
- Santella grew up in New Haven, Connecticut, but said he really didn't begin his foray into fly fishing until later in life when he moved to California. "That's where I fell in with friends and learned all about the importance of presentation with your ...
- 2/18/2017 10:23:00 PM
Master Bass Angler: Fishing Description
- Shoal and Redeye Bass are prized here. • Clear Lake, California With some of the best fishing in the USA, Clear Lake holds black bass up to 20 pounds! But you better have your talents and fishing lures upgraded or it will be quite a challenge!
- 2/18/2017 7:51:00 PM
Want to learn a new fishing technique or need some help for you next outing? Check out one of the guide/outfitter services listed below.
Couldn't find your guide / outfitter service here?
Please email Email EZFishing with that information and we will be happy to update this list.
California Fishing Clubs
Want to join an interest group near you?
Look up the following list of fishing clubs in California.
Couldn't find your fishing club here?
Post a Club Referral and we will update this list.